Begin Here

Hey friends! NaPo has been so-so—I’m on track but I’m not super excited about any of my poems. But that’s art, I guess. You love 1% of what you make and trash (or kindly pat and put in a drawer) the rest. But without the 99% you don’t get the few you love, right?? Okay, I’m done hyping myself up. I hope your Aprils have been lovely. <33

This poem, however, wasn’t for NaPo. It was part of a contest at my school, and it won?! The best part is the ice cream prize. I’m very thankful to the friends & roommates who looked it over and suggested some great edits. The prompt was to write about reconciliation, and the book we used for inspiration for this competition was Marilynne Robinson’s storming gorgeous Gilead, which is where the first line is from.

“I don’t forgive him. I wouldn’t know where to begin.”

.

Begin here: with the sunrise soaring over the sea 

Unstoppable, a silent roar and sweet fury, 

Gathering us all as its crop, reaping what has grown 

Of our love and our hate, shaking the latter from us 

Like chaff, sowing us again, side-by-side, 

In the soil of our tears. The sun full-grown kisses us: 

_______begin here.

7 responses to “Begin Here”

  1. Beautiful! 💙 And congratulations!!

    (And how did I miss that NaPo started already?!)

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Thank you!! And I know, it’s already over halfway into April?!

      Liked by 1 person

  2. wow. you always impress me with your poetry but this one even more than most amazes me ❤ ❤

    Liked by 1 person

    1. That means so much, thank you!

      Liked by 1 person

  3. John Livingstone Avatar
    John Livingstone

    Dearest Abby,

    Congratulations! I am very proud of you. The poem is beautiful.

    All my love,

    Grammy

    Liked by 1 person

  4. I love this poem soso much. It reminds me of Gerard Manley Hopkins. 💚💛💙

    Liked by 1 person

    1. That’s a huge compliment to me, thank you so much. <33

      Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s